Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Hawks Playbook Podcast Episode 54 – Seattle Moves on from Key Players.
Open: Hello and welcome back to the Hawks Playbook Podcast. Your Host’s Bill Alvstad and Keith Myers have a wide-ranging conversation about key player losses and what it means for the franchise moving forward. We go over Free Agency strategy for the team, who by all accounts, do not plan to make a heavy splash in new player signings. We both agree the team is likely to move on from Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham and now Paul Richardson, and by not signing reciprocal dollar amount contracts back to the team, should receive three compensatory draft picks in 2019. The team can expect two 3rd round picks for S. Richardson and Graham and a 4th round pick for P. Richardson.
Here’s what we know as of Tuesday mornings recording time:
- Richard Sherman released by Seahawks and Signs with 49ers while Seattle declines to match offer.
- From Peter King Article:
- Late in the process, when Sherman and the Niners agreed on most of the incentives in the deal, he got back to the three most interested teams. Seattle, interestingly enough, wanted the first right of refusal on any offer, and so Sherman called Seahawks GM John Schneider. Sherman said Schneider told him, “Incentives [are] a little rich for me.” Sherman called Oakland GM Reggie McKenzie, who said he wasn’t going to have the cap money to compete for him. And Sherman called Detroit coach Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn; incentive package too rich for Detroit’s blood.
- Seahawks trade Michael Bennett / 7th round pick to Philadelphia for 5th round pick and player/ WR Marcus Johnson. After playing college football for Texas, he was signed by the Eagles as an undrafted free agent following the 2016 NFL Draft. Seattle now has a slew of 2nd year receivers and athletes to compete. Amara Darboh, David Moore, Cyril Grayson and now Johnson…..and JD McKissic as well.
- As reported by Mike Garafolo: The Seahawks will keep one of their own free agents. They’ve agreed to terms on a three-year, $13.95 million deal with S Bradley McDougald, source says. He stepped into a starting role last year when Kam Chancellor went down. Chancellor’s future remains murky.
- Seahawks Release both DeShaun Shead and Jeremy Lane as expected. Seattle also expected to release Cliff Avril.
- Seattle extends 2nd round Tender to Corner Back Justin Coleman.
- Paul Richardson agrees to a 5-year, $40 million-dollar deal with $20 million in guarantees.
Close: Thanks again for your listening patronage! Both Keith and Bill greatly appreciate it. If you enjoy the podcast, we would also be thankful if you spread that love to other people. Tell everyone you know on Twitter!! Follow Bill @NWSeahawk and Keith @MyersNFL.