Hawks Playbook Podcast Episode 22 Training Camp Report Vol. 2
Hello Seattle Seahawks fans, welcome to the Hawks Playbook Podcast. I’m your host Bill Alvstad and I’m here each week with Seahawks writer and football analyst, Keith Myers. Today’s show focuses on the 2nd week of training camp, as well as a quick preview of the first preseason game against the Los Angeles Chargers……Yes, I did say LA, and not San Diego. This will be the Chargers very first home game in Los Angeles, but they will have to wait for a few more years for their shiny new digs that they will share with the Rams. For now, it’s the old Coliseum in Carson, CA.
News Items this week:
- Malik McDowell has “multiple injuries” and is expected to miss “considerable time.” His 2017 season is in serious jeopardy.
- Baldwin and Clark show signs of injuries on Thursdays practice. Baldwin left practice 15 minutes prior to the end and did not return. Frank Clark limped off the field and returned 10 minutes later to continue to do drills.
- Ifedi and Clark both missed 4 practices after their fight. Both were out because the coaches banned them from participating. It seems that Pete is trying to restore order to the practice field.
Waived Players: Kyle Coleman FB , Robert Myers OL, Ronald Powell LB
Signed Players: Christian French DL, Jordan Simone DB, Greg Milhouse DL
Training Camp Notes
- Quinton Jefferson has looked very good, and has been playing more reps in practice than any of DL on the roster. He is the obvious McDowell replacement.
- Terrence Garvin continues to impress with his athleticism over Wilhoite.
- Naz Jones will need to step up right now considering McDowell’s injury (likely out for the year), and so far, has been doing just that in camp. Has shown more versatility and pass rush than previously expected.
- Shaquille Griffin (Quill) has leapfrogged Neiko Thorpe on the depth chart at Corner#2 with Lane out the last 4 practices.
- Bradley McDougald could see 70% of the defensive snaps and will be a key cog for the defense this year. He will also be the primary backup to both Chancellor AND Thomas.
- Russell Wilson is a sharp as ever in camp with weapons galore. Can that be sustained when the games start?
- Eddy Lacy not all that impressive (even though Pete Carroll says he’s right where we want him), while Chris Carson shines, as he jumps Collins on the depth chart. (Chris Carson is going to make this team!).
- Paul Richardson having a nice camp and has jumped ahead of Kearse in two man sets. This may change after Tyler Lockett returns to practice full time. But plenty of time before the first regular season game to Richardson to firmly establish himself as WR2 or WR3.
- Jimmy Graham is going to have a monster year at TE. Unstoppable.
- C.J. Prosise is electrifying and if he remains healthy, will make a major impact on the offense this season, creating major mismatches for defenses.
- Ethan Pocic has filled in nicely while Ifedi has been out these last 4 practices. It will be interesting to watch this battle for the rest of the preseason.
- Earl Thomas is back 100%. This was not guaranteed heading into camp, so this is great news for the defense that depends on him so much.
- DeAndre Elliott is getting time at the nickel (2nd unit) while Lane is out.
- Our backup QB’s suck right now, struggling with throwing the ball. Not good.
Game Preview: Preseason Game 1 Los Angeles Chargers
How much will starters play?
Key position battles to watch.
What do you most want to see during the game?
• New Head Coach Anthony Lynn, previously the OC with Buffalo Bills
• Ken Whisenhunt remains as the OC
• 8th in league passing w/Phillip Rivers
• 26th in rushing w/Melvin Gordon
• Kellen Clemens QB#2, Cardale Jones QB#3
• Drafted Mike Williams at WR to pair with Keenan Allen, but Williams has herniated disk and will miss time this season
• Lost 2nd round pick Forest Lamp / Guard to a season ending ACL
• Look for our old friend Russell Okung who signed a multiyear deal being the LT