Hawks Playbook Podcast Episode 35 – Seahawks Win vs Texans in Shoot Out
- Seahawks trade Jeremy Lane, a 5th round pick in 2018 and a 2019 2nd round pick to Houston for LT Duane Brown
- Lane’s $4 mil salary partially offsets the $5.5 mil in Brown’s contract. Seahawks had $1.3 mil in open cap space which makes up the difference.
- This is a “win now” move if there ever was one by this front office.
- Seahawks now have 11 OL on the roster. They’ll likely cut one and add a defensive player later this week. That won’t be Deshawn Shead, who is still 3 weeks away from returning.
- Seattle was able to make the salary work under the Seahawks cap space after Russell Wilson agreed to convert some of his remaining 2017 base salary over to bonus money.
Featured Segment 1: Seahawks Win shootout with Houston, 41-38
In what was the game of the year for the NFL so far, the Seahawks won a back-and-forth game with plenty of turnovers and big offensive plays. It was one of the more entertaining games games we’ve seen in a long time.
Key to the win: Wilson and the passing offense won this game:
- Russell Wilson threw for 452 yards and 4 TDs
- Rawls and Lacy combined for -2 yards rushing on 12 carries
- Lockett, Richardson and Baldwin each had 6 receptions
- Lockett (121) and Richardson (106) both went over 100 yards receiving.
- Richardson added 2 TDs, as did Jimmy Graham.
- Richard Sherman gave up 2 long TDs, though he later redeemed himself with 2 interceptions.
- Earl Thomas had a huge pick-6 to keep them in the game, but then later injured his hamstring.
- Miller and Blue combined for 26 carries for only 75 yards.
- Deshawn Watson 19/30 for 4-6 yards, 4 TD and 3 ints.
Featured Segment 2: Seahawks now prep for Washington at home this Sunday
Washington’s offense with Kirk Cousins at QB is above league average
- 14th in total yards
- 8th in passing yards (4th in YpA)
- 17th rushing yards (17th in YpC)
- 12th in points
Defensively they are uninspiring
- 12th in total yards
- 13th in passing yards (23rd in YpA)
- 13th in rushing yards (18th in YpC)
- 28th in points
Washington is -3 in turnover differential at this point in the season, Seattle is +6.
Washington is banged up. they have 13 players on the injury report, including 9 starters. TE Jordan Reed is expected to miss Sunday’s game. WR Jamison Crowder is also expected to be out, as is DL Ioannidis. RT Morgan Moses has 2 sprained ankles. They also finished last week’s game with their 4th string LT playing the last few series.
Close: Thanks so much for listening to this weeks Hawks Playbook Podcast. Keith and I will return next week to recap the Home game vs the Redskins and have a look forward to the following weeks game as we travel on the road for a division game against the Arizona Cardinals.